Tuesday 1 May 2012

On the fallout from the Mel Gibson affair, this thought provoking missive from Terrance.  


We await its fate.


May 1, 2012 at 11:27 am

You are unquestionably a great and gifted writer, polemicist and raconteur. You have added immeasurably to the body politic and to a better Australia. You have done this in media platforms – film, theatre, books, plays, and essays.
But you are also a classic shit stirrer and I suspect (I could be wrong) that you like to inflame, challenge, stir and rankle.
Okay, so I may have gone over the top, as have others. But is there nothing you have written you regret? Did you not apologise about an accusation over Newspoll in Qld? Are there not times when you’ve though you may have let anger or ire or disgust cloud your missives?
Our falling out, if it can be called that, was over Gibson. Frankly, I don’t understand your zealous defence of him, but that’s what debate is about. I find the man evil and dangerous and you find a man whose drunken words should be excused.
And hence you seek to ban me. Fine, I’ll live. But there an issue here worth discussing, and that is how you frame your polemic with challenging words like “prove me wrong” and then tell others to f**k off and use terms like moron et cetera.
So I say that this is good, enjoyable, entertaining and robust debate. Set some rules about language and the like, but surely you don’t want a website full of sycophants and toads, you want a site that is lively, engaging, annoying, angry and addictive?

No comments:

Post a Comment